Growing myself, my family, and my garden one day at a time.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Adventures in Alternative Cooking #2: Quinoa Pasta (Success!)

~
Tonight's experiment was fairly simple, yet significant: find a pasta replacement. We tried Quinoa pasta, actually a combination of corn and quinoa, with a slightly surprising yellowish hue.



See those two pieces of pasta neatly lined up in the bottom corner? The one on the left is a piece of Wacky Mac. The one on the right is the quinoa pasta.

Simmer for 6-9 minutes and watch out for overcooking. (I went right up to 9 minutes and it was still a nice al dente.) While it was cooking I sauteed some garlic in olive oil and added a smidge of Earth Balance butter subsitute, then tossed the pasta in it.



This was a very chunky pasta when cooked. Seriously Phat. It had a good texture and mouth feel, and I think would fool someone who didn't know they weren't eating wheat pasta. There was a small grainy sensation right at the end, but that could also have been the Earth Balance being cooked with.

Theron's verdict? He ate it under slight duress, but essentially because I presented him with a huge portion in my enthusiasm. Several pieces more artfully arranged would have been eaten with no persuasion required. And he'll be eating the rest in his chicken soup tomorrow ;-)

~

No comments:

Post a Comment