~
So by now you have probably gleaned that I am apt to jump into projects with both feet.I think I might scrapbook!
Boom -- Three albums later.
How about a veggie garden this year?
Zip! Watch those suckers grow.
Theron needs to eat gluten and dairy free?
Booyah! Let me cook till I drop, and blog about it for days.
For the second night this week (and it's only Wednesday, folks,) I walked in through the door and turned immediately to baking. Tired I may have been, but tonight I had a treasure: EnerG Egg Replacer. The holy grail of vegan bakery. And after this morning's glue-for-pancake breakfast, I was excited to start tonight's project: some "Homemade Wonderful Bread Mix" from Bob's Red Mill.
Unfortunately there wasn't sufficient time between coming home and Theron's bedtime for him to sample the end results, but he discovered rice cakes in the meantime, and voila, the carb accompaniment to his chicken soup was set.
Bread prep consisted of fermenting the yeast, then mixing the wet with the dry.
(The red cup contains the egg subsitute -- a powdered concoction, not remotely eggy, mixed with water.)
Mix together. Do not, as I did, use your handheld blender. It will mix very slowly against the strong bread dough, and eventually you will notice an acrimonious smell in your kitchen, and realize you have burned through your blender's motor. I think if I'm going to get into this seriously, I may invest in a bread machine.
Smoosh into bread tin.
I set it to rise in a very low temp oven for about 15 minutes.
(It's always so amazing to see science in action!)
And finally, an hour in an oven at 375 degrees.
One of those wonderful instances where what's on the packet is exactly what you find inside: Bread. Homemade. Wonderful.
~





No comments:
Post a Comment