Growing myself, my family, and my garden one day at a time.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Of Peas, Suckling Pigs, and Aspergers

~
It was a long day at home by myself today, as I napped, caught up on work email, and received the message loud and clear that my boss is noticing my sick time off this year. (Oh the joys of a private blog! Where I can say such things!)

Theron was out all morning with his beloved Cassie, and at the delightful Dupuis daycare in the afternoon. Following such an exile, I was happier than usual to be reunited with him this evening. We dined on cheese quesadillas, grapes, and snap peas (him), and shelled peas (me; the only thing which seemed appetizing). Our beverage of choice was some leftover pink lemonade from our Memorial Day BBQ yesterday.

The lemonade reminded me of a conversation Theron and I had had reading Farmer Boy, after Almanzo's father had explained to Wilder Jr. the value of half a dollar. Having received the coin, Almanzo could decide between spending it on several glasses of pink lemonade at a nickel apiece, or spend it on a suckling pig that would have future babies that would sell for several dollars apiece.

In our version, a gumball, which we knew to be a quarter at today's prices (Ah, inflation!) was a large pea. A glass of pink lemonade at a nickel was a small pea, and five of them were placed below the large pea. I explained to Theron that for a quarter, he could either have a "gumball" or "five glasses of lemonade." He promptly said "gumball" and swallowed the large pea. (Note to self: future veggie consumption strategy.)

Upping the ante somewhat, I replicated the small/large pea scenario so there was now a choice of 50c worth of goodies on the table. And above the two large peas, I placed a peapod. I explained that he could either have "two gumballs," for 50c, "ten glasses of pink lemonade," or.... searching around for something attractive to a four year old, I said "a puppy dog."

"NO MAMA!" interjected Theron. Somewhat nonplussed at the passion which had been sparked by my hypothetical vegetable currency, I enquired as to why no puppy dog.

"Because Musaudi {the cat} would be SCARED."

"And if we have fifty cents, we can ONLY buy A. SUCKLING. PIG."

Hopefully our house will not be overrun by baby swine once pocket money is doled out on a regular basis.
~

No comments:

Post a Comment